top of page

The Dixons Heritage


Find Out More Here

Dixons since was first founded in 1882 and since has grown into a leading independent home and department store. Offering products in fashion, beauty, homeware & gifts.

At our Dixons stores we stock hundreds of individual companies within in our family shop, browse the individual stores and what we have to offer before you pop into our store.




The firm of J Dixon and Son Ltd is a family furnishing business, it was founded in 1882 at 23 Queen Street, Whitehaven, by the late Mr Joseph Dixon.


The business moved location to 7 Lowther Street which was a dwelling house converted into a shop. It was one of the first shops in the town to be lit by electricity. For some time the basement and ground floor were the business premises, and the family lived upstairs.


For a considerable amount of time high-class furniture was produced. Around 16 cabinet makers, upholsters and French polishers were employed to do specialist work for large houses in the Lake District. 

Mr J. Dixon was well know as an expert in decorations. During the First World War the King and Queen visited the Workington Iron and Steel company, and the firm was engaged to decorate and furnish the rooms used by the Royal Party.


8 Lowther Street the house next door to the shop was acquired and a new shop front was installed.

During the First World War the King and Queen visited the Workington Iron and Steel company, and the A branch was opened at Murray Road, Workington. Within two years three buildings were occupied and used as large a store.


New Oxford Street, Workington opened.


New Oxford Street, Workington opened.


The firm became a private limited company, entirely owned by the Dixon family. 


A branch was opened in a shopping centre in Kendal at 85 Highgate, highly recognised as a centre for high-class furnishings. The firm advanced to acquiring Edinburgh House, Lowther Street, Carlisle. The largest furnishing store and showroom in the county of that time.


In the 1970s eight shops next to the Whitehaven store were bought. The whole site was demolished and a new modern department store built, with an emphasis on furniture and homeware.


In the 1980s the site of the Cumberland Cloth Company on Maryport Road, Workington was bought, and  Dunmail Park, was opened in 1988. The first enclosed out of town shopping centre in Cumbria. 



In the 1990s Dunmail Park was extended with six more shops, a car showroom and petrol station. 


The company’s millienium project was to extend Dunmail Park again with a 6 screen cinema, 4 extra shops and a fast food outlet. 


Dunmail Park was badly affected by the floods in 2009 when it was cut off from Workington by the collapse and closure of bridges. The main store was leased to ASDA, and Dixons moved to its present site in the former car showroom. 


Dixons continues to grow and invest in West Cumbria, offering jobs to local people, and excellent service to customers from a wide area. The Terrace Cafe is one example of this.


Dixons is still entirely owned to the Dixon Family, with contributions by the third, fourth and fifth generations.  Our strong emphasis remains on furniture, carpets and homewares - continuing the tradition of service and value offered by Joseph Dixon in 1882 when he designed and made furniture to order in his Whitehaven workshop. 


Updates Coming Soon

bottom of page